Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Serious Bad Luck

I just have to blog about this because I'm still so mad about it.  About a month ago, I bought for the first time ever, a side of beef and a side of a pig.   The animals were farmed raised by some 4H kids and it was a pretty good price, although the down side is you pay all at once for the meat instead of buying it as you need but it still is cheaper to do it this way (so the butcher told me).   Well..........I picked it up about a month ago and we'd used a little of it but when we were on vacation, somehow my freezer in the garage stopped working.  We can't figure out if it got left open a crack and melted or if something happened when the lightning storm came thru and the power was out?  All I know is that I will be throwing $1500 of meat in the garbage on Thursday.  Now the freezer if freezing again so I just left it all in there as I don't think anyone wants to smell the rotten stuff until Thursday when the garbage man comes!  I'm just sick about it.   There has been a bear hanging out around our house.....wonder if he could smell the meat?   Scary thought huh! 
Okay, so that's not all........today, I was working in the yard and I decided to dig up a rock that was in a weird place.  We have tons of rocks in our yard.  You might see the surface on a rock and think its a little one, so you start to dig it up to get rid of it and the next thing you know, it's a 3Man rock that is a serious boulder, moveable by only a tractor, unless your muscle woman, which I am not!  So, I got Britton to help me and he said if we used the pick axe, it would be easier.  He starts picking away at the thing and the next thing I know, there is water spurting out of the hole!  He had hit one of the sprinkler lines!  I had to run and turn off the water.  I don't think Craig is too happy about that one since he'll be the one who has to fix it!  About half hour after that, Jordan was digging up another huge boulder and there were actually two side by side.  When he tried to move the smaller one, it slipped and smashed his fingers between the big one and the smaller one.  His fingernail was instantly bruised on one finger and the other two fingers were smashed.  I felt so bad for him!
Here's another one.....the day before we left for Florida, I got rear ended in my Yukon on 272nd. Now mind you, it wasn't that big of a deal with the exception that 2 months ago, I was on hwy 169 and got rear ended in the Yukon.  I had just gotten it back from the repair shop not even a month ago.  I also got rear ended last summer on hwy 18 but that was in my honda.  I don't think I can take another rear ending!!  All three times I was on my way to soccer practice or games.  The last rear ending, the girl who hit me was on her way to soccer practice!  Maybe I need to take a break from driving to soccer so much.  Apparently, it's not safe!  No one was hurt in any of them though and the damage is minor, it's just the pain of dealing with the repairs, insurance......

To top it off, Britton is having is second hernia surgery tomorrow!  He had one on the right side last fall and had to have surgery.  Then about a month ago, he said his other side was hurting and I just had a gut feeling that he had another one.  Sure enough, we went back to the surgeon and he said, Yep, he's got another one on the left side.  Apparently he was born with them and that if you have one on one side, you have a 50% chance of having one on the other side.  I'm not a doctor of course, but if they knew that, why didn't they poke around and look at the other side while they were in there last fall?  Now he has to miss a lot of important things he had planned for the summer plus, we get to pay all the medical deductibles again!  Uuugh, I must be thinking negative thoughts or something (law of attraction) since I keep having these unfortunate things happen!!

Well, the good news is that Craig got a fortune cookie today that said  "the investments you make today will pay off in the future".  Well, since we are about to embark on buying a new building, equipment, office, etc for his dental practice (a serious investment!) that was at least a nice thing to read!

Okay, I know this is not that bad, I really truly am grateful for all my blessings.  Glad that my child who does have medical issues can get treated safely, cars are replaceable, fingers, well, I guess they can be reattached had he lost them (I'm terrible!) and I can always buy another dang cow and pig.  At least we have enough to eat right.  I just think of Uganda when I'm feeling like I've got it so bad!  That changes my perspective and sets me straight!
Thanks to blogging, I can vent to the keyboard (and those who dare to read this dorky post)and by the end of the post, I've counted my blessings and come full circle!  Who needs a therapist?  Blogging is free!




12 comments:

Wendy said...

I feel your pain. Anything that involves $$$ is especially painful. Hope your luck turns around soon!

ammunk said...

I hope that fortune is right!!

Bennett Family said...

You're awesome...way to accentuate the positive! Maybe your homeowners insurance will cover the meat?! It's worth a try!

debi said...

HJ with your skillfullness in the kitchen surely a little spice can go a long way!!! Pork Chops A la Rotten - delicious

The Dillon 6 said...

Oh Holly. I never realized that being a Soccer Mom was such a dangerous endeavor! ;)

I'm sorry for your string of "bad luck" and I hope this is the end of the road.

We've had a lean few months since Doug switched (back) careers. Working at the foundation has put things into perspective for me: we have a warm/cool home to live in; we have food to eat; my children are being educated (even the girls); we are surrounded by good friends and family; we enjoy the freedoms of the US; and we have the gospel.

I didn't realize Craig was relocating...staying local or going somewhere else??

Unknown said...

you forgot to mention your trip to urgent care in florida........mmmhhhh........

Unknown said...

can you say mango fly?

Jolley Family said...

Wendy, yes, I should be home for awhile, at least until August I guess!

Melissa, Craig is relocating to the new office complex up the road, Sawyers Village (2 blocks away from his office now and across from the PlayMor). Should be in the new place early September!

Oh yes, my sweet sister Suzy reminded me of the other bad luck......parasites coming back to haunt me from Africa. I developed an abscess from something that was in my skin from when I went to Africa. It had to be lanced and drained while we were in Florida. I will not say where it was though. It was not a pleasant experience. At least a mango fly didn't come out of me.........I'm still freaking out.

Who else but me has this crazy stuff happen to them?

Don't think I'll turn the meat into insurance. Don't want to have a claim against since the drop you if you have too many.

Sarah J. said...

Oh, Holly, I'm sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. That really does stink (literally too, I guess!!). Hope things start turning around for you. :)

Melain said...

Honey, it sounds like you need a girls night out!

Ronda said...

Holly, that is so awful! I bought a half a beef a year or so ago and that was my biggest fear. Such an investment. Hope you can get some more. It is the best way to go for a big family. I guess if you leave town you better have someone check your freezer every day next time! Great "FOOD" for thought. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Zappe Family said...

Sorry about the $$ down the tubes! Yikes! Hope things get better soon! :)