Wednesday, April 30, 2008


A couple weeks ago, Craig's Grandma, Louise Taylor Jolley passed away.  She meant a lot to me and it's been hard knowing we won't be seeing her again, at least in this life.  The funny thing is, when she first met me, she was not sure about me.  She was a little bit old fashioned and never hesitated to speak her mind.  When Craig told her that he had met a "divorced, pregnant girl" her response was "Well, why would he want someone that has already been someone else's?"  She didn't know much about me so who can blame her for having that response.  After all, Craig was the oldest grandson who had never gone off the straight and narrow so this was a big shock to say the least.  No one ever thought that Craig would end up with a divorcee who was pregnant.  I don't think that is what any mom or grandma wants for her "perfect" son!!  
Well, we did get married and over time, she came to like me and then as time went on she came to adore me and it meant so much to me that she not only accepted me but that she grew to love me as much as I did her.  She lived a long and prosperous life with so many grandchildren and great grandchildren that I've lost count.  She and her husband, WC or Bill as some called him were the cutest couple.   He was the more passive partner and she called the shots but it worked for them.  
When I was leaving for Africa, I called her on the way to airport, knowing she wasn't doing to well and told her that she had to hang on for me for at least 2 weeks so I wouldn't be gone if she passed on.  She had asked me to sing at her funeral and I told her if she wanted me to sing, she had to wait!!  Well, she waited and gave me a few days to recover before we headed down to SLC to the funeral.  I was able to sing for her along with my brother-in-law, the song that she chose and it was a wonderful funeral where we celebrated her life and all the good that she brought into our lives.  Craig gave a talk and talked about her influence in his life.  When she called him a few days before she passed and could still talk, she told Craig that he had brought so much joy to her life and he responded "right back at you, Grandma".  She did bring a lot of joy to all our lives.  She has been a big influence on us and our children.  My kids know her as the Grandma that makes strawberry pie and the one that reads to them.  How lucky we are to have had the privilege of having them come stay with us a few times in the past few years so Craig could work on their teeth.  I will cherish those days forever as will my kids.  What a blessing she has been to us.  
Louise Taylor Jolley, you were quite a woman, mother, friend, and to me, a wonderful grandma and example of so many things that are good and admirable.  Her family meant everything to her and she showed that with her actions.  Her love for everyone in her family was always apparent and she always had time to talk or listen.  We'll miss you Grandma Jolley!!!

2 comments:

Bennett Family said...

Beautiful post! How could she NOT love you?! :)

I'm super close to Ben's G'ma too...I dread the day when she has to leave us.

Leslie Behunin said...

That was very sweet. Grandma's are THE BEST people in the world! No one else can make you feel the way they do!